Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday-ish

Kami did a holiday meme, and I'm adapting it to my needs.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Embrace the power of and. I like both. My favorite winter drink, though, is a Tom and Jerry.

2. Wrap presents or just stack them?
Wrap! I enjoy wrapping creatively.

3. Colored lights or white?
I like all kinds.


4. Do you hang lights?
Yes, I have some with plastic shades shaped like menorahs and magen davids.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Usually a couple of days before.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Latkes!

7. Favorite Holiday memory?
The first time the boys were old enough to light their own hanukkia.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about the miracle of the oil?
Since I'm a convert, I learned it in conversion class.

9. Do you open a gift every night of Hanukkah?
The kids do; grownups not so much.

10. How do you decorate?
The above-mentioned string of lights, on cuphooks set into an arch between the living and dining rooms; a windsock embroidered with a hannukkia; 5 or 6 hannukkias of different shapes and sizes.

12. Can you spin the dreidel?
Yup. Some of them I can make spin upside down.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Not really. It's not so much about gifts for me, although of course I enjoy them.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holiday for you?
I'm a contrarian and subversive, so my favorite thing is telling people that it's the holiday when we celebrate killing the people who tried to make us celebrate *their* holiday.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Chocolate gelt, of course.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Hmm. Eating latkes.

17. What kind of candles do you use?
I like the ones made of hand-rolled sheets of beeswax, but oooh they're expensive.

18. Which do you like best giving or receiving?
Giving a gift that shows I know the person well enough to pick something they like.

19. What is your favorite Hanukkah Song?
Hanukka oh Hanukka. Or maybe Judah Maccabee.

20. Do you like latkes?
Oh yeah. With applesauce or sour cream. Or both. But what a pain to make them!

No comments: