Monday, March 03, 2008

Guilty pleasures

When people ask what my guilty pleasures are, I always say I don't have any: I don't feel guilty about the things I like. Exhibit 1: I like the Osmonds. Notice that's not in the past tense! I started listening to their music when I was 11 or 12 and I still listen to it.

Not as often as I used to, of course, not nearly as often as I did when I was 12 and 13, but occasionally I'll hear one of their songs on the radio and remember how much I enjoy their music. They did a lot of perfectly ordinary pop songs, of course, and that's probably what most people remember. I think they did two good albums, neither of them pop. The Plan is a concept album; it tells a story, but most of the songs stand alone just fine. And Crazy Horses is a rock album, with a great title track, much harder than the pop the Osmonds are known for.

I must have listened to The Plan a hundred or more times. I lost track of the record sometime during my high school years, but I've never forgotten the music and lyrics and the experience of listening to that album from start to finish.

I was channel surfing Saturday night and stopped on PBS because I recognized the music. Just one bar in I exclaimed, "That's Down by the Lazy River!" Sure enough it was an Osmond reunion concert special. I sang along with so many songs, even knowing I'd liked them so much I was surprised. And I realized that many of the snippets of music and lyrics that drift through my head are from those Osmond songs of long ago, snippets I haven't been able to place and that nobody ever gets when I quote them.

So I downloaded the album The Plan (yes, I paid for it) and I've been listening to it yesterday and today, and it's really brought back the good parts of my early adolescence, plus giving me insight into the connections I've been making between things all these years. It's been great to rediscover this music, and a real treat that something I liked when I was young is still good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I'm amused, to say the least, that you admited that you like the Osmonds' music.

Welcome back to the Osmonds world! They continue to rock my world and I was lucky enough to be at the show that you just witnessed. Words cannot describe the incredible feeling of watching them all perform together again, and not separately, like I have in recent years.

You should check out Donny's website....www.donny.com. His What I Meant to Say CD is well worth checking out....he wrote most of the songs, some with others.