Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Explaining my choices

If you read this blog directly, through a bookmark or link, you'll notice the quotations in the left column. I've decided to explain those here, partly because I'm going to be changing them when I find others I like and I want to memorialize the ones I take out.

The first one I'm changing is:

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

I posted that because I needed the encouragement. I've had people attack me for standing up for something. And I do mean attack *me*, not the subject of the discussion.

I'm changing it out for this:

"He was a conservative in the sense that he believed civilization to be something laboriously achieved which was only precariously defended. He wanted to see the defences fully manned and he hated the liberals because he thought them gullible and feeble, believing in the easy perfectibility of man and ready to abandon the work of centuries for sentimental qualms." Evelyn Waugh, on Kipling

I like this; I can imagine describing myself this way, although it's only part of what I think.

No comments: