Thursday, April 17, 2008

Knitting a sweater

Well, I'm plunging in at breakneck speed to the most complicated knitting project I've attempted yet: a sweater for me. Giant-sized, lumpy and bumpy, easily-bored me, so I've chosen a pattern from a book written specifically for fat women, with a lace-like stitch pattern rather than miles and miles of stockinette.

Because I've chosen a different yarn (a lovely alpaca, brown and gray twisted together) from the one recommended in the book, I spent hours knitting swatches, trying out both plain knitting and the pattern stitch on various needle sizes with my chosen yarn until I matched the pattern's recommended gauge. But I finally got gauge, which is important since much of the pattern is written in stitch counts--and if you're supposed to get 4 stitches to the inch but you're getting 6, then knitting 288 stitches won't make a big enough garment to fit you.

And then a couple of days ago I cast on for the project. I've done the first step: 3 inches of 2x2 ribbing in the round, and set stitch markers for where it will eventually be split into a front and back. Next will be the pattern stitching...and I'm too tired today to start this challenge. Maybe tomorrow!

No comments: