Friday, July 04, 2008

Peter Berg

Never again will I watch this man's films. Never.

We went to Hancock this evening and I had to leave the theater about an hour into the film because I was so motion sick and nauseated that I thought I was going to throw up. Almost the entire film is shot in "shaky-cam," the exceptions being a few set-up shots.

If this is artistic license, then feh on his artistic taste. There is no story-related reason for this film to be shot as if the camera man were being tossed on wild ocean waves--and frankly I don't think the technique added that much to the stories (Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield, for example) where it made sense within the context of the film (in both cases, the conceit was that the films were shot by a video-camera operated by one of the characters).

Avoid this film. Not only did the story suck, but you'll be hard pressed to tell because of the horrible camera work.

2 comments:

Kami said...

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience. I hadn't planned on going because despite the fact I like Will Smith, I'd heard from people I respect that there is some seriously flawed screenwriting (or critical scenes were left on the cutting room floor) to avoid the natural story arc. It's a shame that there are people so fearful they might damage the bottom line that they're willing to destroy the integrity of a piece of art to avoid things like a kiss between a black man and a white woman. I'm sure the movie had many other flaws as well, and the barf cam sounds ridiculous. Too bad. I would have liked to have seen a superhero movie this summer. Maybe another will come along.

Kai Jones said...

See Ironman! I loved it. I've heard Hulk is good, too.

I really like Will Smith, but I haven't liked his last few films (well, I never saw Pursuit of Happyness--looked too depressing).