Friday, August 22, 2008

Not my passion

Politics are, generally, not my passion, and Megan McArdle nails it when she explains why:

I'll probably vote for Obama, but not with any expectation that I'll like the result very much. I am not excited about this election. I do not believe that my vote is going to immanentize the eschaton. I do not think that I am engaged in a titanic battle, in which the forces of good must beat back the cosmic evil that threatens to engulf us all. I think I'm deciding which of two politicians to hand a lot of power I don't want either of them to have.

It should be possible to debate the issues in this election at a level above "My guy's awesome and your guy is a big fat doody-head". But it doesn't seem to be. I find this profoundly depressing.

1 comment:

Mark Jones said...

I really don't think it's possible to avoid that dichotomy. Despite sighs of nostalgia for "the good ol' days" I think politics has always been like that. I know politics in the early days of the republic were, if anything, more vicious than what we see today.

Given that the most dedicated, most active individuals in any campaign are going to be those who are most likely to see things in such black and white terms (that's why they're the most enthusiastic), a titanic battle of Good versus Evil is going to be the paradigm in which they operate.