Thursday, October 30, 2008

Supply-side economics

I don't enjoy steampunk. I don't think it's hip, or cool, or entertaining, or pretty. I don't like the stories, I don't like the clothes, I don't like the clever detritus of modern conveniences made over to look like antiques with a SF twist. It's just not my thing.

However. A lot of people are enamoured of it right now, and many of them are authors. That means they're writing a lot of steampunk. They're writing stuff they want to write, and certainly a lot of people also want to read it; I don't have a problem with that.

But a lot of the non-vampire/werewolf/shaman fantasy and science fiction out there is now steampunk. There's way less stuff I want to read, way less stuff I want to buy. And I buy a respectable number of books a year, mostly new, mostly hardbacks.

I guess I'll have more money for yarn.

No comments: