Monday, November 03, 2008

Not yet.

At least two of my acquaintances have, in the last year or so, opined that they would not be surprised should Bush declare martial law before the next election; or even stronger, that they expected it at least a little.

There's still time.

I won't be ridiculing them mercilessly when it doesn't happen, but I am still amazed that these people, who seem otherwise quite reasonable to me, could sincerely harbor (even enjoy) the thought of the truly catastrophic failure of our system of government that such a declaration would be. It makes me doubt my ability to judge whether others are reasonable, reasoning human beings.

It also makes me glad that if it were ever to be necessary, I would be ready, willing, and able to rise up in rebellion against an oppressive government.

No comments: