Friday, January 01, 2010

Word for 2010

I've given a lot of thought to what word to pick for 2010. "Bravery" kept bubbling up out of my thinking, but never fit very well when I tried it on. A few times I thought "Calm" might be a good pick, because I needed a lot of ability to calm myself over the last year, so many things happened that were out of my control. Even the choices I made required frequent calming, because my life and my family's lives have gone through a lot of new experiences. My husband was laid off in the spring, my older son and his wife had a second child, and I was diagnosed with some severe allergies which required a completely different way of eating and a new medication regimen. In addition I took up sewing and learning to play the piano!

I'm going to embrace "change" as my word for 2010. I've resisted most change in my life since I was very little, and made a point as an adult of drastically eliminating stress in my life whenever I could identify a source of stress that I had control over. During 2009 for the first time in a long time I chose to make major changes, over and over. And I've managed quite well, seldom retreating from an overloaded life or breaking down emotionally or physically--in fact I've been sick less often in the last year than any other year of my life.

I'm finally able to change on purpose, with intentionality, and enjoy the effects of my changes. This year of 2010 I hope to claim this trait and make it solidly part of my identity.

2 comments:

Stef said...

What are some of the other words of the year you've chosen?

Kai Jones said...

2008: Discovery
2009: Strength