Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How to use Google WAVE

I use Google WAVE a lot.

I don't use it as a collaborative tool much, though. I use it as a combination idea board and research file.

I have waves for subjects, like "sewing" and "health." I store links, snippets of text from articles I've read, brainstorming, to-do lists, questions, etc. in the subject waves. I can look at my waves from anywhere I can log on--at work during a break, at home, on my laptop while traveling. I can drop links in a wave for videos to watch later, articles to read later, stuff to buy later; I can drop a line of text that's tickling my thinking for writing a post later. I've got a wave for books I want to get from the library.

Try it, it's a useful tool.

2 comments:

Bryan Hasson said...

That's funny because just when I saw this post in my feed reader I had seconds earlier logged in to wave for the first time in months to think about how/why/if I use it.

The thought I had was that, as a communication and collaboration tool, it effectively and nicely replaces email. (For example, when trying to get a study group together to meet at good times, it's nice to invite everyone to a wave to collaborate on when we can meet and add notes for each other, even adding things for those who missed a session. BTW, I NEVER get to do this because nobody is on wave.)

Actually, the thought I had was that it nicely replaces email for things like this, but the point of email is that I log in and see it. I NEVER remember to log in to wave, so I never see waves. It's another thing to log in to, so why would I log into it when I'm already going to look at my email?

Kai Jones said...

I use the individualized Google homepage, and I have a link to Wave on that page, so I see it every time I open my browser. :)